Symptoms and Diagnosis
From Charles Daniel, former About.com Guide
The Basics of Hepatitis Symptoms
Wondering if that ache or pain could mean hepatitis? Symptoms vary depending on the type of hepatitis, so it's hard to know without the help of a doctor. Most people don't realize they have hepatitis until they see jaundice, a symptom that makes the skin appear yellowish.
- Symptoms Overview
- Four Common Hepatitis Symptoms
- Symptoms of Acute Viral Hepatitis
- The Big List of Acute Viral Hepatitis Symptoms
- All about Jaundice
Doctors use several different tests to diagnose hepatitis.
- Diagnosis Overview
- Should You Be Tested for Hepatitis C?
- Diagnosing Viral Hepatitis with Liver Enzymes
- What Is Serum Albumin?
- Blood Tests for Hepatitis C
- What Is a Liver Biopsy?
- Which Hepatitis C Subtype Do I Have?
- Is a Biopsy Necessary to Diagnose Cirrhosis?
- What Is Your METAVIR Score?
Treating hepatitis can be complicated by other conditions and diseases. Also, since the liver performs essential functions for the entire body, when it becomes damaged it can affect many areas and cause other diseases such as cirrhosis and cancer.
- Tour the Digestive System
- Why Is the Liver So Important?
- Tour the Immune System
- Ten Complications of Hepatitis
- Complications of Chronic Hepatitis C
- Alcohol and Hepatitis C
- Cirrhosis: What You Need To Know
- What Are Causes of Cirrhosis?
- What Is Acute Liver Failure?
- What Is Liver Cancer?
- What Is Ascites?
- What Is Portal Hypertension?
- Can I Donate My Organs if I Have Hepatitis?
Though there are other causes, many types of hepatitis are caused by viruses. These viruses are named after the first five letters of the alphabet, A, B, C, D and E.
- Types of Hepatitis
- How Many People Have Hepatitis?
- The Five Viruses of Viral Hepatitis
- Hepatitis A Virus and Infection